JDM 2nd Gen GOLD TOP B20A - Oz Style

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JDM 2nd Gen GOLD TOP B20A - Oz Style

Post by zedries on Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:07 pm

So some of you may have come across the thread in PP.com in the second gen section - I had not created a "build" thread because she was not in my posessiont. Well yesterday I rolled the old girl into Sydney and she waits at my cousin's home for minor repair and registration.

Below I will put the important bits and updates from the thread on PP.com and convert it to a build thread as the 2nd Gen Area is looking rather sparse.

The original thread can be seen here: http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330203

Here goes;

So I think that the title pretty much gave it away... I am proud to announce that with a little help from my auction sniper and Hayden (zoldrin), I am the proud new owner of a 1986 JDM B20A!

So the story unfolds that i was cruising ebay for any prelude like bargains and I come across an add that says "Honda prelude perfect for spare parts or fix it up". I take a look at the photo and see a dirty white grille and an overall look that was as TimO put it "a little rough".

I read the description and see it's actually got the beautiful bonnet bump and i think "it can't be - not in OZ". Next thing I know i'm texting like crazy asking for pictures of the engine and about half a day later on saturday night I get these...

Passenger side:

Aaaand Driver:

Then the heavens opened up and a voice screamed LET THERE BE LIGHT! I almost fell off my chair.

So I get on the net again and realise it's in Victoria - near Melbourne and I'm in Sydney - that's a 1200km distance for those who are curios - Instantly I get in touch with Hayden and send him some pics and we begin to devise the plan to have the first Aussie JDMB20A on the boards.

The next thing i know is Hayde's pointing out the car has the JDM door lock stickers, Auto Shifter, fog light switch, cruise control buttons and quite possibly the climate control... All evidenced by the picture of one of the most beautiful non black interiors i've seen in a while

Now I know it's a little dirty but just look at all that JDMness... Garrett take your hands out of your pants. LOL

At this stage I'm so obsessed with this car I don't even care that it's an auto - I already have an 83 manual JDM. I don't een care that it's been in a bloody shed somewhere that looks like it hasn't been cleaned since the vietnam war - I just wanted it... Here's the proof:

So I eventually didn't sleep for two days, especially since I was trying to figure out how I was going to get this car to sydney considering I'm going os for 7 weeks in a month and have a very busy month ahead... and then Hayden comes to the rescue - offers to pick up the car and store it at his place till I get back from O/S...

Now since Hayen get's to drive my beast before I do here's the gauge cluster so we can all keep an eye on the travel he does while I'm away LOL!!! No seriously I think he can drive it as much as he wants with that fantastic offer and I'm pretty sure you guys would do the same thing if someone did this for you... Still.. here's the cluster;

Now the only known faults with the car is a tranny that leaks and that it's in need of a set of rear tyres with matching tread and a battery. A bit of body work to get those inevitable rust spots off the rear window and a new front bar and B20A grille (Alex - care to help a brother out) then i've got me a new daily driver whilst I work on the black lude restoration.

I'm so dam excited I may just wet my pants... I know all you non B20A boys out there from the US, Canada, South Africa are just as excited considering you guys didn't get them there.

Now that my novel is almost complete - Sorry - I need to ask some questions about this tranny and at the risk of doing the noob thing I'm gonna just go otu there and say it - what tranny can I stick on this motor because the chances of finding a B20A in Oz is damn near impossible or would it be better to recon the one in there. Either way my head hurts and my fingers are sore from typing..

someone elses turn..

Peace

Zaahir

Last edited by zedries on Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:28 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : fix pics)
zedries

Back to top Go down

Re: JDM 2nd Gen GOLD TOP B20A - Oz Style

Post by zedries on Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:42 pm

Upon Collection by Hayden we found the following goodies:
B20A Goldtop,
Power adjustable folding mirrors,
Map light,
Automatic Climate control,
Equaliser (not Navi!)
Ash trays on both side of the rear compartment,
Cruise control,
Park light switch,
Fog light switch, with foglight harness - even has pig tails hanging out the front bumper BUT NO FOGLIGHTS Lots of Japanese stickers under the bonnet and japanese 'above door handle' stickers
Honda mudflaps
JDM auto shifter
Air refiner switch (unit to be replaced soon)
SI style seats black vertical stripes
and generally all off-black interior.

zedries

Back to top Go down

Post by zedries on Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:44 pm

[QUOTE=zoldrin;2490833]Observe: The majestic Lude in it's natural habitat.

Orphaned by lack of JDM appreciation, it was bought to the Lude sanctuary. Watch it mingle with the other ludes...

After recovery it will be released into the wild again. What a rare sight to see it here resting in the shade:

[IMG]http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif[IMG]

If we are really lucky we might be able to sneak some closeups...

Yes, that's right folks: Folding (SI power adjustable) side mirrors:

Oh Yeah! It's the auto climate control (and everything is there!)

( - also see the Equaliser not navi):

The fabled JDM maplight:

Rest of interior:

flare clip:

That is all sorry for raping your bandwidth hard as but I think it was justified.

By the way, that flare clip is soo f*cking cool! I really want one.

Prolly the best JDM item you could have in my mind!

Just need to buy some Honda road flares with japanese writing all over them!

And please guys, I feel bad for posting all the pics and stuff

when it is Zaahirs car so here is congratulations to Zaahir!

I can't wait for you to come down so we can do some work on this baby!

I'll have my engine by then, for certain so there could be some heavy mid-year lude works over my mid-semester break from uni.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by zedries on Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pix fix)
zedries

Back to top Go down

Post by zedries on Mon 28 Feb 2011, 12:03 am

After my first visit to Melbourne came this:
Here's my explanaition of the above post:

hey peeps.. as you may have seen in the thread i my signature after all the fidgeting about with the transmission and refilling as well as adding a rather pricey transmission treatment I still have problems.. i took her out for a drive and found a couple of quirks.. The front wiper needs attention and a few of the light bulbs need to be changed. I also can't wait to slap another front bumper on the car because the one on it is cracked and repaired with staples and body filler.. ghetto!

So, to the bad bits.. the transmission is not good enough to be driven some 9 hours. Gear selection whilst parked works fine but there's a definite shudder in the gear change between 2nd and third then third to fourth. once i fourth it cruises reasonably well.

Other things I noticed was front of the engine bay was FULL of grease and oil... I literally had to scrape some off and them sprayed some degreaser on it which took a fair bit off.

I inspected the engine and removed the rocker cover and the engine itself looks to be in pretty good condition - no wear on the lobes and no gunk in the oil at all. Contrary to the previous owners reports, the car does not seem to leak at all although i think Hayden will check it again to be sure as it's still under the car port.

There's only one or two things that may need replacing being a second thermal fan and a power steering boot/ dust cover which is cracked but doesn't seem to affect the mechanism at all. Spark plugs were in good order and the car isn't running rich or lean from visual inspection and the leads are still decent however both will be replaced.

And in saying all of this would you believe this is the ORIGINAL engine.. Yep - the engine number (under all that rubbish) matched the factory plate on the firewall... I believe it's done about 220XXXkm and all things considered is in remarkable condition.

Alas, we only had so much time and between the rain and blistering cold (ok, maybe not blistering but seriously cold) we did get a fair bit done... We took pics on various mediums so they'll be up eventually... No cruise though given the time constraints.. next time.

Any auto transmission experts out there.. your advice is needed and very much appreciated.

After 2 and a bit hours sleep and a flight back to Sydney I'm sitting at my desk back at work so apologies if any of this is incoherent.

Hayden, you're a legend - see you again soon.

zedries

Back to top Go down

Second Visit

Post by zedries on Mon 28 Feb 2011, 12:12 am

Following my second visit to see my girl I posted this:

So here's the deal people.

Went to Melbourne on Saturday morning equipped with ignition parts, more knowledge of the B20A/BA1 than ever before and a will to succeed – plus a set of shocks/struts for Hayden to finish his suspension.

First thing's first and we installed a random little battery from Hayden's work and hoped the old girl would start - 1st turn over and off she goes! Next was to let her warm up and park in a place where we could inspect the car generally.

Once under the carport I took out all the plugs and cleaned/ inspected then replaced.... Did I mention the old owner had the WRONG PLUGS in the car? Then each cylinder was fired without a plug and spluttered out whatever oil/gunk was in there. Given we know there was an oil spill of some sort I expected that.

Next came brand new top gun ignition leads... Unfortunately the rotor and cap I ordered hadn't arrived yet so I had to take the old one off and clean/ inspect as necessary. Needless to say there was oil to be had there too... after cleaning realised the rotor was on its way out. Plugged everything back in and then checked all vacuum lines, hoses and made sure the valve thingy on top of the throttle body was in order...

So here's the crappy leads... They were REALLY shitty:

Checked the transmission fluid and didn't seem to have lowered although the oil was just the tiniest bit low. I bought new Motor Oil and filter so that next time I'm there to pick the old girl up and drive it home she'll have fresh oil as well as some honda ATF as the dexron that's in there is only temporary...

Anyway, I digress. After the checks/ inspections and ignition component replacements it started up without a glich and once warm it purred. We then drove to the junk yard and on the way got some 98RON fuel and injector cleaner to feed through....

After scoring a new sunroof from an EX that was on site and Hayden grabbing some interior bits we were off to work on Hayden's body kit which i won't go into here because Hayden will update his thread soon enough.

Next up was inspecting the wobble/thud sound coming from the left front - I'm pretty sure it's a wheel bearing because inspection of the pads and disc doesn't show uneven wear which I assume would be indicative of the disc.

So while Hayden drove around in little circles in his front yard I hung out the passenger window sitting on the ledge looking/listening at the wheel... no visible wobble and just to make sure we changed wheels too - the sound seems to increase under load and there may even be some rubbing because clearance is a little tight on the BA1... Sadly, result was that this issue was not 100% diagnosed however Hayden's Mechanic is going to look at it over the next week so fingers crossed.

We also went to find two new tires and got a set of firestone firehawk 195/60/14's on two good condition alloys off an Audi for a steal... The tire's are directional tread and very nice however the rims didn't fit... BOOO! they are 4 x108 PCD I think so they will fit pugs etc. I think Hayden will grab the other 2 soon.

Oh, and the cruise control started working and so did all my lights which I thought were being funny… Go Figure? The only thing still out is the speedo cable which probably needs a little adjusting and I didn’t have time to do it.

Last but not least I drove the Lude up the mountain near hayden’s house… SOOOOOO much torque it didn’t even feel like it was straining even with a trunk full of tools and 2 tyres, sun roof glass and other random bits. SOLID!

All in all a very successful trip. The only things which remain outstanding are as follows (in no particular order)

Wheel bearing (which may be fixed by the time I get down again)
Steam clean engine bay
Gasket sealer on rocker cover
Change ATF and Motor Oil
New seat belt stalk x 2 (so they match)
New front Bar/Grille (no big rush)
Polish all the grease off and make the car properly white again LOL!
Repair rust spots.
Strip the white off the painted mouldings to make it stock
Install the cheap ass stereo that was supplied and the two 2 way sony’s I picked up out of a third gen
Tyres swapped onto honda rims and wheel alignment
Fly to South Africa, New York or New Zealand and hunt down members with Flip Fog Lights and steal them… you know who you are!

Finally, I thought this would be interesting. Below is a list of what I’ve spent on the BA1 and I’ll keep it going as this project continues to see if I can build the cheapest restored BA1 on the boards (I won’t include flights and registration)

Cost of car - $455
Ignition leads - $89
Set 4 NGK spark plugs - $18
Distributor cap and rotor - $27
Cam belt (not yet installed) - $22
Fuel injector cleaner - $10
Transmission fluid - $35
Transmission additive - $18
Castrol GTX magnatec - $28
Ryco Oil Filter - $10
Sunroof Glass - $55
Sony 2 way speakers - $12
2x Firestone Firehawk 195/60R14 (on alloys) - $72
Sub Total = $851

I think that’s a pretty good start for a car we thought had a blown tranny and would bog down with no balls at all…

Ok, I need to stop typing now.. I’ll update with some pics and more things we did as I remember… Hayden feel free to add things I haven’t mentioned.

Later

Zaahir
zedries

Back to top Go down

She's coming home

Post by zedries on Mon 28 Feb 2011, 2:08 am

UPDATE: - I did this on the train last night on 3Geez as I was chasing some info on part numbers.

So here's a quick update via iPhone.

I just went to Melbourne and took in hand a set of new lower control arm strut mount bushings (left one is a little smashed) and set about getting shit done and taking possession of my B20a powered lude.

To cut a very long story short we couldn't get the bushings changed... Not a big drama. Also couldn't get in for a wheel alignment.. Also not imperative and also forgot my new rotor and cap... Also not a massive issue.

On the plus side I got a second hand front bar for $10, put new oil, filter and gave her a once over and set off to drive the 1000km to Sydney.

All was going well when about 2 hours in to my drive and about 6.30pm I am about 10min from a tiny town when I see the battery/charge light come on.. SHIT! I stop in a random car park and see a frayed belt over the pulley and half haning on the floor... No parts stor open, very poor 3G reception and VERY LIMITED tools and disappearing light. The only plus?... At least it's not the alternator!

I look in the bay and see in blue writing on the outside of the alternator case "civic zc"... I make my way to the only petrol station and some old dude says "no mechanic .... Belts on the wall"... I pick up a dayco 3PK895 and decide to try my chances.

By now it's almost 8pm so I buy a torch, belt, WD40 and a set of spanners... And just in case the belt doesn't work I grab 2 packs of panty hose... Ask 3gcvc about that suggestion.

The entire time I'm on the phone to Hayden who's frantically trying to find a part number for me and on gmail chat to alex about my situation.

Anyway, I take up a position under a street light on the main road of this little town and get to work. No time for removing power steering.. Cut the belt and stick my fingers in the bay with a torch between my teeth changing a belt outside a pub with drunk onlookers... Oh, did I mention it was raining?

Off comes the support bracket and on with the far too long belt.. Swing the alternator towards the firewall and pray at start up! After a lot of zinging noise and some rear cross member rubbing I finally have a functioning alternator...

Now to find somewhere to sleep after being cheered off by the publicans... No dice... There's a wedding in this one horse town and half of bloody Melbourne is here... Caravan park lady takes pity on me and I sleep in my car with access to facilities... I think I had more greese on me than was left on the engine!

Sunday mornIng and I'm off with cautious abandon.. 100km later and the car is performing well... Solid shifting and very respectable top end torque... I think I was surprising the 6 & 8 cylinder boys on the road.

11 hours later and after stopping at many parts stores along the way and collecting a 3pk810 belt I arrive in Sydney at my cousins place... Oh and I stopped a couple of times and checked coolant level... I think the water pump is on it's way out.

I try and fit the 3pk810 belt and it's too short!

At least it made it home and the transmission performed better than expected.

Anyone got a part number for alternator belt? The one that snapped on my car was unrecognisable!

So that was my weekend... What did you guys get up to? Lol

Now I'm tired.. And yes, that was the short version.

Z
zedries

Back to top Go down

Post by zedries on Mon 28 Feb 2011, 2:15 am

OK so back in the present I'm looking like there are a few things needed for this car to get on the road and complete my mini build.

First I need to fix the few surface rust spots.

Next comes the replacing of the Steering Rack boot which is cracked - already have that ready.

Then it's the changing of the lower control arm bushing.

FInally there's a new speedo cable required and a wheel alignment and I'm pretty sure that'll get her road registered.

Then I'll be detailing the engine, re-spraying the front bar I got for $10 (it's blue),a proper BA1 grille andstripping the crappy rattle can paint off the trim to bring them back to black.

Of course I'll be changing the water pump and the timing belt/tensioner shortly and at the same time probably do thecrank case seal.

Lastly, and I know everyone's been thinking it - manual conversion.

So.. thoughts, comments, criticisms?
zedries

Back to top Go down

Post by Builds.The.Fire on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 11:06 pm

gangsta. can i come visit it when i cruise down to Sydney??

Builds.The.Fire
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by zedries on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:02 pm

Sure thing dude..
just give me some notice.
zedries

Back to top Go down

Post by Builds.The.Fire on Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:38 am

if you hear a sick lad doing doughies like a commo driver, that will be your notice Very Happy

Builds.The.Fire
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top