Prelude Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

catacon's Progression Thread

5 posters

Go down

catacon's Progression Thread Empty catacon's Progression Thread

Post by catacon Thu 27 Jan 2011, 6:37 pm

So this isn't really a build...yet. I'll just detail some of the stuff I have done to the car since I've had it.

My first car was a 1992 Dodge Dakota that I "inherited" from my dad. It was in real nice shape and I kept it running and looking very nice.

catacon's Progression Thread Dakota

I would probably still have it, except this happened:

catacon's Progression Thread Dakota_wrecked

Lady ran a red light and I T-Boned her going about 45mph. Luckily no one was hurt. And something better came from it.

catacon's Progression Thread 3585629496_c9e276df3b_z

1998 Pearl White Base Auto with 30K miles. Yes, that's right, 30K. Still smelled brand new. Absolutely nothing wrong with it and the single owner had all of the service records. Definitely a great pick up, except for the fact that it's an autotragic tranmission. But we'll get to that later.

First order of business was to get any scheduled maintenance done. Although it didn't really NEED anything done, I just wanted the peace of mind. So timing belt was changed, oil was changed, and I checked over other stuff like spark plugs, tires, etc. Since it was insanely clean when I got it, I made it my mission to keep it that way. It gets bathed regularly and I've done more in depth detailing such and clay barring and swirl removal from time to time. I try to keep it as fresh as possible.

catacon's Progression Thread 3585604420_f42d1d9c43_z

Shortly after I got it. It remains this clean always.

catacon's Progression Thread 3585611834_2c5894762c_z

First major mods were white gauge bezels, clear sidemarkers, turn signals, and the LED conversion. Almost all bulbs on the car are now LEDs.

catacon's Progression Thread 3643004132_a23032e109_z

catacon's Progression Thread 3708580190_03aab66ba7_z

catacon's Progression Thread 4503760756_e04f29db83_z

Next was my alarm install. Super legit with brain hidden well and all the wiring made to match the stock stuff. Installed it in two days and haven't had any issues with it since. One advantage of having an auto is that I can remote start my car without the sketch of a clutch bypass. Starting the car from a 1/4 mile = win.

After that I painted my calipers black. Nothing special, just something to keep them a bit cleaner looking.

catacon's Progression Thread 4780980917_b74156ac2e_z

Next major mod was HID Retrofits. I was lucky enough to get in on a groupbuy with The Retrofit Source and got legit bi-xenon projectors, ballasts, and bulbs for ~$200. Easily the best mod thus far.

catacon's Progression Thread 5199391461_ddcfdcdf04_b

catacon's Progression Thread 5200049276_5525acaf71_b

Driving Video

Around that same time came foglights. JDM Replicas (version 2) from eBay. Paired with 3000K HIDs.

catacon's Progression Thread 4772785403_5900402c79_z

catacon's Progression Thread 5200051116_eb0552b8a8_z

Sometime in here I needed new tires. Still had the original ones. Upgraded to Falkens which are quite enjoyable. Also got some (basically) free stock blades.

catacon's Progression Thread 4761876826_3262ef2cdd_z

Sprinkled throughout this adventure are a number of accidents involving people incapable of properly operating motor vehicles.

Episode 1 - Actin' a fool
I took a turn too fast in some snow and hit a mail box. Rear bumper got a little messed up. The picture sort of shows the damage on the passenger side.

catacon's Progression Thread 3708576936_dd5137b1f8_z

Episode 2 - Nice Lady Leaves Note
Lady backed into the driver's side fender while I was at work. She was nice enough to leave a note and paid for everything.

catacon's Progression Thread 3799501200_94cd403cbe_z

Episode 3 - N00b in a Parking Lot
Guy backing out of spot runs into the rear bumper. Apparently tried to run, but campus police stopped him. He ended up paying for everything. This, luckily, took care of Episode #1.

catacon's Progression Thread 4481784674_020463dc85_z

Episode 4 - Suburban + Woman = New Hood
I was trying to leave a parking lot and was behind a woman in giant Suburban that was looking for a spot. She saw someone leaving the spot and decided to back up to give this person room, completely disregarding me. Her tow hook hit my hood and (luckily) nothing else. She tried to blame it all on me, but finally she admitted it was her fault and paid for it all.

catacon's Progression Thread PIC_0088

So all in all I have received about $3200 worth of free body work. This is nice and all since there were some spots that did need to be repainted, but unfortunately, not all of the paint matches perfectly. So eventually I will need to repaint the entire car.

There are a few projects in progress that will hopefully be completed soon.

1) Valve Cover - Painted and repainted this multiple times, but it's never turned out quite right. This is basically what I am going for, though.
catacon's Progression Thread 4747155513_ace9995550_z

2) Wheels - Refurbishing and painting some stock blades I got for cheap. Almost done.

Old and poopy.
catacon's Progression Thread Wheels0002

Fresh and fruity.
catacon's Progression Thread Lude_wheels7

3) Turn signal mod. Super secret. Don't tell anyone.

There are many more things I want to do to this car.
1) 5spd swap. It must happen. Hopefully, I will get the money and parts by the end of the year and knock it out. We shall see, though.
2) Suspension + minor power upgrades. Looking to make it handle a little better and maybe squeeze some more horses out of the H22. This will probably include full exhaust, maybe some head work, and a tune.
3) Full repaint + wheels. Definitely gonna need some new paint all around. Gonna keep it white for sure, still undecided on the pearl. And of course some fancy schmancy wheels.
4) Supercharged. Haven't fully decided on this yet, but I think it would be fun.

That's probably as far as I will take the car, but I'm sure I'll change my mind. Smile However, it will always remain super fresh and in good working order.

So in short:

Got a 1998 Pearl White Base in December 2008 after my truck was wrecked. It's been in multiple small accidents, but all has been repaired. Mods are:
1) LED conversion
2) HID Retrofits
3) Clear turn signals and sidemarkers
4) Alarm install
5) JDM Replica Fog lights
6) White gauge bezels
7) Black calipers

It currently has 46K miles on it and I hope to make it a weekend car before it hits 100K. I love this car and it has taught me a lot and introduced me to a lot of cool people. I definitely want to keep this car a long, long time.

catacon (Aaron)

Last edited by catacon on Thu 27 Jan 2011, 9:04 pm; edited 5 times in total

catacon
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

catacon's Progression Thread Empty Re: catacon's Progression Thread

Post by xxfallacyxx Thu 27 Jan 2011, 6:52 pm

Oh shiiiii... our cars are twins!

Oddly enough I picked up another gauge bezel with the intentions of painting the rings white... haha

I'm jealous of how clear the head light lenses are on yours.
xxfallacyxx
xxfallacyxx
The Meat
The Meat

https://preludehaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jd Thu 27 Jan 2011, 7:18 pm

Nice man!
In for updates
jd
jd
The 'Roo King
The 'Roo King

Back to top Go down

Post by catacon Thu 27 Jan 2011, 9:07 pm

xxfallacyxx wrote:Oh shiiiii... our cars are twins!

Oddly enough I picked up another gauge bezel with the intentions of painting the rings white... haha

I'm jealous of how clear the head light lenses are on yours.

Yeah I have a bunch of clusters that I was considering trying different colors on LOL. People definitely like the white.

The lenses are something I work hard on to keep clean. They were super fresh when I got them and I Plast-X them with every wash to make sure they stay clear.

JD, hopefully I will have updates. A big issue for me right now is money, but I'm trying real hard to fix that. Hopefully I can get a real job this summer/next semester.

catacon
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim1137 Fri 28 Jan 2011, 8:53 am

wow, you have terrible luck with car accidents!!

on another note, I can wrinkle coat valve covers in red if thats what your looking for.
Tim1137
Tim1137
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by catacon Sat 29 Jan 2011, 1:19 am

Yeah, no joke LOL. I got a bad case of the Prelude curse.

How much would you charge to do it? And are you good at it? I mean, I can do it too, but apparently I suck at it. :p

catacon
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Sat 05 Feb 2011, 3:31 am

so jealous on the price you paid for those retrofits..
Christian
Christian
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Feb 2011, 3:42 am

Man, looks like you've been through a lot yourself. It sucks bcos I did go through some bad times as well. Glad you held your head up high and still have her around. Looks clean and nice. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum